Draniki are a traditional Belarusian dish which can be made with or without onion but this vegan version uses onion for additional flavor. They are usually served as a side dish or as a main dish and can be accompanied with various toppings such as sour cream, mushrooms or sautéed vegetables. They are perfect for vegetarians and vegans, gluten-free and easy to make.
- 4 cups of grated potatoes
- 1 onion, grated
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated potatoes, grated onion, flour, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and add oil to the skillet.
- Using a large spoon, form pancakes out of the potato mixture and place them in the skillet.
- Fry the pancakes for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the pancakes from the skillet and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the process until all of the potato mixture is used.
- Serve the pancakes hot with sour cream or a side of sautéed vegetables or grilled mushrooms
Pomelo Noodle Salad
You can use another citrus if pomelo isn't available. Blood oranges, cara cara, kishus, etc would be welcome. Also, a quick reminder re: toasted sesame oil - make sure yours isn't rancid. It's one of those oils that tends to sit around people's kitchens. Making sure it's relatively fresh makes a huge difference.Ingredients:6 ounces dried…
Oil and Vinegar Slaw
Ingredients:1/4 cup red wine vinegar2 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, eyeball it1 sack, 16 ounces, shredded cabbage mix for slaw salads1 teaspoon saltSalt and pepper
Straightforward Spring Salad recipes
Serves 4.Ingredients:1 and 1/2 orange, juice only1/2 lemon, juice only1/2 small red onion, chopped1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil1/8 teaspoon fine grain salt4 big handfuls of salad greens, washed and dried1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted1/3 cup black olives, (the wrinkly, oily ones), pittedInstructions:In a medium bowl whisk together the juice of 1/2 orange, lemon juice,…
Tossed Salad with Mushrooms
Ingredients:2 tablespoons red wine vinegar1/2 teaspoon salt1/8 teaspoon pepper1/2 teaspoon oregano5 tablespoons olive oil8 cups mixed baby salad greens1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved1 8-oz. jar marinated mushrooms, drained
Vegetable Rice Salads with Beans
Ingredients:2 cups waterSalt1 cup short-grain brown rice1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces2 carrots, peeled, diced2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1 tablespoon Dijon mustard6 tablespoons extra-virgin oil1 celery rib, diced1 red bell pepper, cored, diced1 bunch scallions, chopped1 1/2 cups canned chickpeasChopped dill, for garnishChopped parsley, for…
Ingredients:2½ lbs. carrotsJuice of 6 oranges (about 2 cups)1 tsp. orange-flower water