Feijoada is a traditional vegan Portuguese dish made with black beans, vegetables, and a blend of spices. It is a hearty and flavorful meal that is perfect for a cold winter day. This recipe is easy to make and can be served over rice or with a side of crusty bread. Whether you are a vegan or simply looking for a delicious and nourishing meal, this feijoada is sure to satisfy your cravings.
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Rice and chopped parsley for serving
- Rinse the black beans and soak them in cold water overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans, then place them in a large pot with enough water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1-2 hours.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, bell peppers, vegetable broth, tomato paste, paprika, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked beans to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve the feijoada over rice and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Pomelo Noodle Salad
You can use another citrus if pomelo isn't available. Blood oranges, cara cara, kishus, etc would be welcome. Also, a quick reminder re: toasted sesame oil - make sure yours isn't rancid. It's one of those oils that tends to sit around people's kitchens. Making sure it's relatively fresh makes a huge difference.Ingredients:6 ounces dried…
Oil and Vinegar Slaw
Ingredients:1/4 cup red wine vinegar2 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, eyeball it1 sack, 16 ounces, shredded cabbage mix for slaw salads1 teaspoon saltSalt and pepper
Straightforward Spring Salad recipes
Serves 4.Ingredients:1 and 1/2 orange, juice only1/2 lemon, juice only1/2 small red onion, chopped1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil1/8 teaspoon fine grain salt4 big handfuls of salad greens, washed and dried1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted1/3 cup black olives, (the wrinkly, oily ones), pittedInstructions:In a medium bowl whisk together the juice of 1/2 orange, lemon juice,…
Tossed Salad with Mushrooms
Ingredients:2 tablespoons red wine vinegar1/2 teaspoon salt1/8 teaspoon pepper1/2 teaspoon oregano5 tablespoons olive oil8 cups mixed baby salad greens1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved1 8-oz. jar marinated mushrooms, drained
Vegetable Rice Salads with Beans
Ingredients:2 cups waterSalt1 cup short-grain brown rice1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces2 carrots, peeled, diced2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1 tablespoon Dijon mustard6 tablespoons extra-virgin oil1 celery rib, diced1 red bell pepper, cored, diced1 bunch scallions, chopped1 1/2 cups canned chickpeasChopped dill, for garnishChopped parsley, for…
Ingredients:2½ lbs. carrotsJuice of 6 oranges (about 2 cups)1 tsp. orange-flower water