Baghali Ghatogh is a traditional Iranian dish made with lima beans and a flavorful herb and spice mixture. It is typically served over rice or flatbread, and makes for a hearty and satisfying meal. This vegan version of Baghali Ghatogh is just as delicious as the original, and is perfect for those looking for a plant-based option. It is easy to make and packed with flavor, making it a great option for a weeknight dinner or a weekend meal with friends and family. So if you're in the mood for a tasty vegan dish with a hint of Middle Eastern flair, give this Baghali Ghatogh recipe a try!
- 1 cup dried lima beans
- 1/2 cup dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Water, as needed
- Soak the lima beans in water overnight.
- Drain and rinse the lima beans, then transfer them to a pot. Cover the beans with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the tomato paste, turmeric, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the dill and cilantro to the pan and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the cooked lima beans to the pan and stir to combine. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water to thin it out.
- Simmer the ghatogh for 5-10 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve hot with rice or flatbread. Enjoy!
Pomelo Noodle Salad
You can use another citrus if pomelo isn't available. Blood oranges, cara cara, kishus, etc would be welcome. Also, a quick reminder re: toasted sesame oil - make sure yours isn't rancid. It's one of those oils that tends to sit around people's kitchens. Making sure it's relatively fresh makes a huge difference.Ingredients:6 ounces dried…
Oil and Vinegar Slaw
Ingredients:1/4 cup red wine vinegar2 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, eyeball it1 sack, 16 ounces, shredded cabbage mix for slaw salads1 teaspoon saltSalt and pepper
Straightforward Spring Salad recipes
Serves 4.Ingredients:1 and 1/2 orange, juice only1/2 lemon, juice only1/2 small red onion, chopped1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil1/8 teaspoon fine grain salt4 big handfuls of salad greens, washed and dried1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted1/3 cup black olives, (the wrinkly, oily ones), pittedInstructions:In a medium bowl whisk together the juice of 1/2 orange, lemon juice,…
Tossed Salad with Mushrooms
Ingredients:2 tablespoons red wine vinegar1/2 teaspoon salt1/8 teaspoon pepper1/2 teaspoon oregano5 tablespoons olive oil8 cups mixed baby salad greens1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved1 8-oz. jar marinated mushrooms, drained
Vegetable Rice Salads with Beans
Ingredients:2 cups waterSalt1 cup short-grain brown rice1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces2 carrots, peeled, diced2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1 tablespoon Dijon mustard6 tablespoons extra-virgin oil1 celery rib, diced1 red bell pepper, cored, diced1 bunch scallions, chopped1 1/2 cups canned chickpeasChopped dill, for garnishChopped parsley, for…
Ingredients:2½ lbs. carrotsJuice of 6 oranges (about 2 cups)1 tsp. orange-flower water