Paella is a traditional Spanish dish that is known for its bold flavors and colorful presentation. Typically made with seafood and meat, paella can be a challenge for vegans to enjoy. However, with a few simple substitutions, it is easy to create a vegan version of this delicious dish. In this recipe, we will show you how to make a flavorful and satisfying vegan paella that is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. So if you love the taste of paella but are looking for a plant-based option, this vegan paella is the perfect recipe for you!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup plant-based protein (such as tofu, tempeh, or seitan), diced
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- In a large pot or paella pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell peppers, and rice and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, paprika, turmeric, cumin, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the frozen peas, plant-based protein, artichoke hearts, and cherry tomatoes. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are heated through.
- Serve the paella hot, garnished with lemon wedges.
I hope you enjoy this vegan paella! Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like more information about vegan cooking.
Pomelo Noodle Salad
You can use another citrus if pomelo isn't available. Blood oranges, cara cara, kishus, etc would be welcome. Also, a quick reminder re: toasted sesame oil - make sure yours isn't rancid. It's one of those oils that tends to sit around people's kitchens. Making sure it's relatively fresh makes a huge difference.Ingredients:6 ounces dried…
Oil and Vinegar Slaw
Ingredients:1/4 cup red wine vinegar2 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, eyeball it1 sack, 16 ounces, shredded cabbage mix for slaw salads1 teaspoon saltSalt and pepper
Straightforward Spring Salad recipes
Serves 4.Ingredients:1 and 1/2 orange, juice only1/2 lemon, juice only1/2 small red onion, chopped1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil1/8 teaspoon fine grain salt4 big handfuls of salad greens, washed and dried1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted1/3 cup black olives, (the wrinkly, oily ones), pittedInstructions:In a medium bowl whisk together the juice of 1/2 orange, lemon juice,…
Tossed Salad with Mushrooms
Ingredients:2 tablespoons red wine vinegar1/2 teaspoon salt1/8 teaspoon pepper1/2 teaspoon oregano5 tablespoons olive oil8 cups mixed baby salad greens1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved1 8-oz. jar marinated mushrooms, drained
Vegetable Rice Salads with Beans
Ingredients:2 cups waterSalt1 cup short-grain brown rice1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces2 carrots, peeled, diced2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1 tablespoon Dijon mustard6 tablespoons extra-virgin oil1 celery rib, diced1 red bell pepper, cored, diced1 bunch scallions, chopped1 1/2 cups canned chickpeasChopped dill, for garnishChopped parsley, for…
Ingredients:2½ lbs. carrotsJuice of 6 oranges (about 2 cups)1 tsp. orange-flower water