Are you craving some delicious, crispy fried "chicken" but don't want to compromise your vegan lifestyle? Look no further! This vegan KFC style "chicken" recipe will satisfy all of your cravings without any animal products. Using a combination of tofu, almond milk, and a flavorful blend of spices, this recipe is easy to make and tastes just like the real thing. Serve it up with your favorite dipping sauces and side dishes for a satisfying and guilt-free meal. Keep reading to learn how to make this delicious vegan fried "chicken" at home.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Start by pressing the tofu to remove excess moisture. Cut the tofu into small pieces and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Cover the tofu with another layer of paper towels and place a heavy object on top, such as a pan or a book. Let the tofu press for at least 20 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, mix together the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the almond milk into a separate shallow dish.
- Dip each piece of tofu into the almond milk, then roll it in the flour mixture to coat. Repeat until all of the tofu pieces are coated.
- Heat a few inches of vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully add the coated tofu pieces to the pot.
- Fry the tofu for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until it is golden brown and crispy. Remove the tofu from the pot and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve the vegan "chicken" with your choice of dipping sauces and side dishes. Enjoy!
This recipe should make about 4 servings. You can also adjust the seasonings to your taste and add more or less flour or almond milk as needed to achieve the desired consistency.