Banitsa is a traditional Bulgarian pastry made with layers of phyllo dough and a filling of cheese, eggs, and sometimes meat. However, with a few simple substitutions, it's easy to create a delicious and satisfying vegan version of this classic dish. Follow along with our recipe to learn how to make vegan banitsa that's crispy, flaky, and full of flavor. We can't wait for you to try it!
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup vegan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- In a medium saucepan, bring the rice, onion, garlic, vegetable broth, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- On a clean, dry surface, lay out one sheet of phyllo dough. Brush the sheet lightly with vegan butter. Repeat with the remaining sheets of phyllo dough, stacking them on top of each other as you go.
- Spread the cooked rice mixture evenly over the phyllo dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle the vegan cheese over the rice.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the aquafaba over the edges of the phyllo dough. Carefully roll the dough into a tight log, starting from one of the short sides.
- Place the banitsa seam-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the top of the banitsa with additional vegan butter.
- Bake the banitsa for 30-35 minutes, or until it is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the banitsa from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Pomelo Noodle Salad
You can use another citrus if pomelo isn't available. Blood oranges, cara cara, kishus, etc would be welcome. Also, a quick reminder re: toasted sesame oil - make sure yours isn't rancid. It's one of those oils that tends to sit around people's kitchens. Making sure it's relatively fresh makes a huge difference.Ingredients:6 ounces dried…
Oil and Vinegar Slaw
Ingredients:1/4 cup red wine vinegar2 tablespoons sugar2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil, eyeball it1 sack, 16 ounces, shredded cabbage mix for slaw salads1 teaspoon saltSalt and pepper
Straightforward Spring Salad recipes
Serves 4.Ingredients:1 and 1/2 orange, juice only1/2 lemon, juice only1/2 small red onion, chopped1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil1/8 teaspoon fine grain salt4 big handfuls of salad greens, washed and dried1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted1/3 cup black olives, (the wrinkly, oily ones), pittedInstructions:In a medium bowl whisk together the juice of 1/2 orange, lemon juice,…
Tossed Salad with Mushrooms
Ingredients:2 tablespoons red wine vinegar1/2 teaspoon salt1/8 teaspoon pepper1/2 teaspoon oregano5 tablespoons olive oil8 cups mixed baby salad greens1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved1 8-oz. jar marinated mushrooms, drained
Vegetable Rice Salads with Beans
Ingredients:2 cups waterSalt1 cup short-grain brown rice1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces2 carrots, peeled, diced2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1 tablespoon Dijon mustard6 tablespoons extra-virgin oil1 celery rib, diced1 red bell pepper, cored, diced1 bunch scallions, chopped1 1/2 cups canned chickpeasChopped dill, for garnishChopped parsley, for…
Ingredients:2½ lbs. carrotsJuice of 6 oranges (about 2 cups)1 tsp. orange-flower water